Scan and ReadScanning and reading technology combines the use of a scanner or camera and OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software to create digital images of printed material then recognize and translate graphical characters into electronic text. This text is then read aloud using Text to Speech software and can be navigated, edited, and saved for later reading.
PEARL and Openbook™ More Details
|PEARL and Openbook™|
The PEARL brings blind and low vision users instant portable access to printed material with an array of human-sounding voices. The folding camera deploys in seconds to connect to your PC and snap a picture of your reading material.
Lightning Fast OCR
The PEARL expands the features of OpenBook 9.0 to provide instant OCR. Press a keystroke to snap a picture, and hear your book read back to you with Eloquence or one of the human-sounding voices from RealSpeak Solo
Direct®. You control the reading rate and voice.
Special Half-off Introductory Price
The PEARL reading camera comes with a two-year warranty and is available at the special introductory price of $600 until March 31, 2011.
The Hover Cam T5-V - High Resolution Scanner for the Visually Impaired More Details
|The Hover Cam T5-V - High Resolution Scanner for the Visually Impaired|
The T5-V’s extended arm holds its 5 megapixel scanner. It can be folded and telescoped down into the post of the scanner. Fully compacted, it stands approximately one foot tall and fits nicely into a briefcase, backpack or laptop bag.
The HoverCam T5-V scanner has a telescoping neck. In contrast to a goose-neck design, you do not need to reposition the item beneath it when lowering the camera. With a goose-neck design, the lower the camera moves, the further away from the camera’s base it goes. With the HoverCam T5-V, there is no need to adjust the document under the camera when using its mechanical zoom.
To ensure that documents or books are placed properly under the HoverCam T5-V scanner, we have included Braille markings on the guide mat. There are also "bumps" on the HoverCam post to help adjust the camera. The T5-V makes scanning, OCR and text-to-speech easy.
Special focusing adjustment to ensure acquisition of a clear picture at fully extended camera position and even within a 6" retractable range.
- The depth of field of this camera accommodates uneven surfaces making it an adaptive device for visually impaired customers to use anytime anywhere.
- Braille enabled positioning mat, making it easier for the user to position the camera and the document.
- Special Anchoring Bumper making it easy for the users calibrate the positioning of the device and the document to automatically achieve straightening or cropping.
- HoverCam Flex Version 2.0.1 comes with a preliminary Tesseract 3.0 OCR implementation, MS TTS, and Mac TTS. (Note: Our OCR software is not meant to replace other, more robust visually impaired programs. Our OCR software can only handle a single column of text and will only work on large bold print.)
- 5 megapixel (2592 x 1944 resolution), with native 300 dpi, and up to 1200 dpi# enhanced clarity scanner.
- Powered by the latest CMOS technology, with large depth of field for documents and 3D objects.
- Scan size up to 11" x 14".
- Small footprint, with 4" x 5" oval base, 12" in height, and 1.8 lb. in weight.
- Retractable aluminum structure with satin finish provides rigid construction and modern look.
- Built-in Bright LED Lights.
- USB powered.
- May be used as a document camera for showing live images
SARA CE More Details
Freedom Scientific’s SARA CE (Scanning And Reading Appliance, Camera Edition) is the next-generation self-contained scanning and reading appliance for the blind and those with low vision.
The SARA CE is simple to use. Just place a printed page under the camera, and the SARA CE instantly starts reading it to you with RealSpeak™ human-sounding speech. No computer experience is needed. You don’t even need to push a button to read almost any printed material – books, magazines, mail, and more. The camera automatically senses when a new page is presented.
Kurzweil 1000 More Details
Kurzweil 1000 turns text into a variety of life-like voices and does much more. Users can bookmark, make notes, skim or summarize text to aid mastery of concepts and details. They can modify reading speed, pitch, and emphasis to suit specific preferences and purposes. They can edit or create documents assisted by an audible dictionary, thesaurus or prioritized spell checker, and archive them using a simple file management dialog.
kReader Mobile More Details
The Mobile Reader Product Line from knfbReading Technologies, Inc., is a major advancement in portability and functionality of print access for the blind, the vision impaired, and those with reading difficulties.
Pictured here with the Nokia N86 mobile phone.
The knfbReader Mobile and kReader Mobile software packages run on a multifunction cell phone that allow the user to read mail, receipts, handouts, and many other documents wherever the user happens to be. This is a truly pocket-sized solution to reading on the go. The knfbReader Mobile software has a feature set designed for blind or low vision users. The kReader Mobile is designed for people who have difficulty reading due to learning or language problems.
Requires that the phone carrier supports unlocked GSM phones (in the US - ATT and T-Mobile).